Search This Blog

Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Benefitting Others with Humility

No one should presume to read or sing unless he is able to benefit the hearers; let this be done with humility, seriousness and reverence, and at the abbot's bidding. RB80.47.3-4

In community, as in families, many of the tasks are parcelled out among the different members. In addressing community prayer, Benedict advices that those who perform special tasks within the liturgy need to be those who have special skill and training.

The reader, for example, is not to be just anyone who happens to walk up and pick up the book randomly. The cantor or prayer leader should be someone who can lead the community in prayer without drawing undue attention to himself. The service needs to lead the person back to God and to praise.

This issue can be troublesome at times if I happen to consider myself extremely talented in whatever service I am performing. For example, if I know that I am a trained musician and use the opportunity to be the cantor to draw admiration for my great voice, I am taking away from the service I am providing. It might even be considered a distraction for others who are present intending to pray.

There can be a very fine line between being willing to share my skills for the glory of God and calling the praise to myself. I need to remind myself often what the real purpose of my service is.

How am I serving God today through the full use of my talents?

Sr. Catherine, OSB

No comments:

Post a Comment