Search This Blog

Monday, March 12, 2012

Distribution of Goods

I am a person who seems to attract "stuff" everywhere I go. I am kind of like a stuff magnet...even though I might not intend on acquiring more paper, more books, more gadgets, etc. Stuff seems to accumulate around me no matter where I am. I am not even necessarily attached to things, things just seem to be a part of what I am about. (Most of the things that are around me actually are there for the purpose of my ministry or other duties.)

Today's reading, from Chapter 34 of the Rule of Benedict, is one that I have studied often. I am invited to ask myself what is really necessary in order for me to be able to function reasonably. Although I enjoy using the gadgets available to me, I need to remind myself that these are available to me because they often come with responsibilities and requirements. For example, while having a smart phone had some appeal, once I stop and realize all of the responsibilities attached to having the phone some of the shine and wonder of the phone begins to be tempered by reality.

Today's selection from Chapter 34 reminds me that the goods that are presented to me are available for the good of the whole group and for others. I need to remember that and thank God for the awareness necessary to keep material goods in proper perspective in life.

Sr. Catherine, OSB

No comments:

Post a Comment