Search This Blog

Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Lectio As Work

Although I have little problem seeing the value of work--especially physical/manual labor--I would not consider myself an extremely hard or focused worker. I do not particularly like getting hot and sweaty. Although some might feel great after accomplishing some major physical project admiring their handiwork, I generally just tend to feel tired and hot. I am the type of worker that is ready to quit once I break my first fingernail or about the time I finish half of the project.

In Chapter 48 of the Rule of Benedict, he deals with daily work in community. I would expect to find in this chapter some strong rationale for manual labor. Reading the chapter, however, lectio is mentioned three times in the first 9 verses. It seems to be more of a schedule for lectio divina (which is a sense is our principle work) than it is a treatise on the value of physical labor. Most of the horarium is centered on the hours for community prayer. This realization gives a new perspective to the whole discussion about work.

In some contexts prayer has been called the work of God--the opus dei. How do I use my times of lectio and private prayer as a true work or ministry? Is my attitude toward this spiritual work tainted by my concept of physical work? How can I turn my prayer into a true work of God?

Sr. Catherine, OSB

No comments:

Post a Comment