Search This Blog

Thursday, April 5, 2012

Whose Feet Do You Wash?

What is the connection between monastic life, hospitality (RB ch58), the Sacred Triduum?

Monastic life is centered on seeing God's presence in the midst of the community. It's focus is mutual service in love for the good of the whole. It is reminiscent of the story in Genesis, in which Abraham greets the passing travelers and invites them to share in his spontaneous feast. In community we are invited to practice this type of hospitality in our daily encounters with those around us. We are challenged to find the face of God present in the needs of our sisters and brothers in need.

Hospitality calls me to open myself to the other and to whatever surprises might come from my daily encounters with others. I am presented with opportunities to open my heart wider in compassion for my neighbor. It is through hospitality that I can most clearly express my love and concern for God and neighbor and learn many life lessons. I am fortunate to have many teachers in this school of hospitality.

The Triduum (Holy Thursday, Good Friday and Holy Saturday) is a school of hospitality. From the great feast with the disciples in the upper room to the glorious realization of the Resurrection, hospitality is the cord that unites us in faith. Jesus' example of service and love in the washing of the feet of the disciples is only the first of these lessons on hospitality. Jesus' total surrender on the Cross for the sins of all is the ultimate manifestation of this life of total love and outpouring of self.

As we experience these most holy days, may Jesus' example of self-giving love guide our path.

Blessed Triduum,
Sr. Catherine, OSB

No comments:

Post a Comment