Search This Blog

Thursday, October 2, 2014

Seeking Escape

Today we are looking at the fourth step of humility. This step encourages quiet acceptance of life circumstances, patience, and steadfastness of purpose. All of which are qualities that I struggle with regularly. It definitely seems counter-intuitive to me (my nature and will) to strive for these characteristics; yet I need to accept the fact that Benedict saw great value in these personality traits.

Quiet acceptance of life circumstances

There are some things in life that cannot be changed no matter how hard I try, how sincerely I wish things were different or how much I bargain with God or with myself to change it. It could be my height and weight, my quickly graying hair or my difficulties with a work situation. Benedict sees merit in simply acknowledging the reality and then moving forward rather than fighting, stomping my foot against life or yelling about the unfairness of my life. My tendency is more towards creating a fan base around my issue and rallying for support...unfortunately this does little to move me towards greater humility.

Patience
 
Patience has never come naturally to me. My preference is usually towards instant gratification--as in as soon as the idea comes into my mind. I pray daily for a greater appreciation and awareness of patience in my life.

Steadfastness of Purpose

For me, this aspect of humility deals with focus, perseverance and intentionality...none of which is high in my list of personal qualities acquired. I like things that are quick and don't require lots of effort.  As I tell my friends, I am much more likely to be a "sprinter" than a "marathoner." While there is definitely value in perseverance in life, I know that I do not have the stamina necessary to see things through to completion.  While I have completed many tasks in life, I know that about half way through my interest starts to waver and the only thing that sees me through to the end of a project is God's grace and lots of determination on my part.

Today I am being invited to reflect on what part these qualities have in my life and how I can increase them daily through prayer and continued effort.

Sister Catherine

No comments:

Post a Comment