Search This Blog

Wednesday, October 1, 2014

Going Beyond Myself

The third step of humility is that a man submits to his superior in all obedience for the love of God, imitating the Lord of whom the Apostle says: He became obedient even to death (Phil 2:8). RB 7.34

I have definite ideas and opinions about what I like, what is acceptable, what is necessary, what is essential and tons of other issues. I am usually quick to search for the point or benefit of new projects or thoughts and am often reluctant to let go of my way of seeing the world. This comes naturally to me; partly because I never learned the skill of keeping my thoughts to myself. I have always liked telling others what is happening with me...and being an extrovert I cannot fully engage my brain unless my mouth is involved.

Today, I am being invited to at least be open to the idea that there might be someone who might know more than I do or who might have a fuller vision of reality than I do. I am encouraged to not feel compelled to fight to the end for my way of everything. Sometimes, it actually might be better for the whole group to do things in a way which seems opposite to my thoughts. Benedict reminds me today that it is okay to lay down my will once in a while for the benefit of the whole or simply so that I can follow Jesus' example of obedience.

I can choose to accept Benedict's challenge today to quietly accept a different way of living out of love for God and those with whom I live.

How is God inviting me to express humility today?

Please pray for the participants and staff of our School of Lectio which takes place October 1-4, 2014.

Sr. Catherine

No comments:

Post a Comment