Search This Blog

Friday, October 7, 2011

Silence and Humility

When words are many, transgression is not lacking, but he who restrains his lips is prudent. Prov 10:19

The ninth step of humility encourages us to treasure silence. Silence is valued because it allows me to slow down my thoughts and to listen for God's voice in my daily experiences.

God speaks in subtle and quiet ways. When I am busy talking incessantly, thinking about what amazing remark I will make next, I find that I do not have the sensitivity necessary to perceive God's messages to me. I lose my ability to listen to God, others, and the world around me when I am occupied with only my own speech and concerns. When I am so focused on what I have to say and on my message, I often discover that it is harder to speak the truth gently and respectfully. I am in danger of playing with the truth or hurting another thoughtlessly if I am not careful.

Restraint of speech invites me to listen carefully and to think before I speak--something that I can easily forget to do. I do not need to share every thought or impulse that passes through my mind. I do not always need to be the center of attention or the greatest conversationalist. It is okay to sit back, listen, and reflect once in a while. As the book of Proverbs reminds us today, the prudent person (the wise and mature person) restrains their lips. That does not mean that they never speak but rather that speech follows reflection and thought. This restraint makes the person's words more valuable.

May I continue to grow in my restraint of speech and my appreciation of silence.

Sr. Catherine, OSB

No comments:

Post a Comment