Search This Blog

Tuesday, October 25, 2011

On Being Lukewarm in Life

Being lukewarm...that is not an appealing image. In general, things should either be truly hot or truly cold. It is a sign of total commitment to whatever is being considered. Lukewarmness is more like sitting on the fence because I can't get up enough energy to care one way or the other about an issue. It is neutrality--but not in a good sense. It is closer to apathy than detachment.

I have never considered myself lukewarm about anything in life until recently. For me, this state of not caring can be instructive. When I find myself not really caring about life, myself, or other things, it is a good time to start paying attention to my thoughts, my attitudes and my current pastimes. If I am careful, I can trace back the beginnings of this state of nothingness in my daily life. It is usually not anything large and flashing rather tiny, subtle decisions that eat away at my spirit little by little. I don't want to reside in this state for long (if at all).

Today's task is to pull myself back from lukewarmness and fully engage in life. What can I do to recommit to that is important for me in life?

Sr. Catherine, OSB

No comments:

Post a Comment