Search This Blog

Thursday, November 3, 2011

Love for the Weak

Rather, as the Apostle says: Let love for him be reaffirmed (2Cor 2:8), and let all pray for him. RB80.27.4

We all have our times of weakness, when our frailty seems to be closely connected with our identity. It is good for me to remember that during these times although life may look bleek it is not a time to dispair.

Today's selection of the Rule, which is from the disciplinary section of the Rule, reminds the community that it is at the time when one is that weakest that the love and concern of the group needs to be reaffirmed in order to gently guide the wayward or weak back into relationship. I know that when I begin to wander away from the boundaries set by the norm it is time for me to reach out to others and ask for extra support.

What does this support look like? It does not necessarily have to be anything spectacular or flashy,,,it can be taking time to listen to another's concerns, it can be a smile, a hug or a touch of the arm. It only needs to be some genuine expression of compassion or concern for the other. Just letting the person know that someone cares. I know that for me these brief moments of connection allow me the space and confidence needed to reassess my current situation and move forward in the future.

Whenever possible, I try to be that connection point for others also. It is in these encounters that we find surprising strength at times. How am I being a connecting point for others today?

Sr. Catherine, OSB

No comments:

Post a Comment