Search This Blog

Monday, January 23, 2012

Whole-Hearted Obedience

In the Latin text of the Rule of St. Benedict, today's selection from Chapter 5--On Obedience contains three words that caught my attention: trepide (fearfully), tarde (slowly), tepide (half-hearted). Each of these words is preceded by the word non, implying that these words should not describe the monastics obedience. A person is not to obey with fear, hestitation or half-heartedly. This is a life that calls for full commitment.

These words have always caught my attention since I would like to believe that in most cases I do face life without undue fear, slowness or a partial commitment. I strive to be fully invested in life--at least when I am my best self.

What are those things that stop me from this goal? What are the challenges that crop up for me that cause me to pause and lose my way?

I find for myself that whenever I lose sight of my values or begin to think that I have it all together--it is time to start becoming concerned because I have actually lost everything. I need to remember to set aside time daily to just be and refocus so that I can continue on the journey whole-heartedly, full of life.

Sr. Catherine, OSB

No comments:

Post a Comment