Search This Blog

Monday, January 2, 2012

Run in the Light

Benedict does not seem to be a fan of half-hearted commitments. He poses the image of running four times in the Prologue of the Rule. In the first three instances it is an image for fleeing something--the darkness (of sin and self-will) [v 13], former deeds [v 22], waiting too long to change [v 44]. The fourth reference to running [v 49] has us impelled by the power of the unspeakable sweetness of the delight of love. It seems to imply that before I am ready to fully accept God's love in my life, I must first turn away from some of my current tendencies and preferences. In a sense, it is an invitation to prepare the soil of my life by practicing running from what is not of God so that when God's true presence does appear not only am I ready to accept it joyfully but there is also space in my life for it.

At the beginning of this new year, I am invited to look at my current life and see what adjustments are necessary to be more open to God's presence daily. This is not a quick plan to lose 20 pounds in 3 months or to declutter a little to simplify my life for a day or two but a life-long plan of action.

What am I willing to revise today to make more space for God in my life?

Sr. Catherine, OSB

No comments:

Post a Comment