Search This Blog

Friday, September 7, 2012

A School for the Lord's Service

Therefore we intend to establish a school for the Lord's service.  RB80.Prol.45

I am a life-long learner by nature.  I have always been curious asking lots of questions and trying to increase my awareness of the world around me.

Today we hear that monastic life is intended to be a school for the Lord's service.  So, what is the curriculum in this school supposed to be?  And who are to be the teachers?  We already have gotten a glimpse of the proposed end-goal in the earlier allusions to participation in God's kingdom but some of the finer details have not been presented yet.

In my years of living this life, I have come to realize that the curriculum is embedded within the monastic community and fully participating in that life.  It is the lessons of patience, humility, and service that we learn daily.  It is in the forgiveness that we extend to one another and the mercy received as we interact at table, in work, at recreation and other times.  We are all the "teachers" in this school...just as we all have an opportunity to be the students at various times also.  We do this together...helping one another along, one step at a time, one day at a time.

What am I doing to be the best "teacher" I can be in this school today?

Sr. Catherine, OSB

No comments:

Post a Comment