Search This Blog

Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Loving Your Neighbor as Yourself

Growing up, as the oldest in our family, I learned quickly that there is always someone smaller, more frail, or more in need that needs care and protection.  By virtue of being the oldest and the biggest, my task in life was to care for the younger or whoever might have a need before taking care of myself.  Being an overachiever by nature, I took this on as my life motto and soon learned to be very focused on the needs and concerns of others.  Often to the point of enabling dependencies and totally denying that I had any needs of my own.

Today's reading from the beginning of Chapter 4 on the tools for good works brings up the point that I can only really care for others and their needs to the extent that I am caring and compassionate towards my own needs.  It's that whole concept that I can not possibly give to others what I am denying to myself.  So, in a sense, as well-meaning as my parents message of caring for others was, I really need to remember to care appropriately for myself first so that I have a wealth from which to share. 

In my adult years, I have worked hard to find that balance within myself of love and care of self and concern for others.  It is still so much easier to drop whatever my needs are and run to rescue someone else, but I have come to realize that not only is it often not helpful but it can encourage others to depend on me.

Today, I am called to show the same measure of concern for others as I do for myself.  How am I helping others today to grow in their self-care?

Sr. Catherine, OSB

No comments:

Post a Comment