Search This Blog

Wednesday, February 16, 2011

The Lord's Prayer at Common Prayer

Assuredly, the celebration of Lauds and Vespers must never pass without the superior's reciting the entire Lord's Prayer at the end for all to hear, because thorns of contention are likely to spring up. Thus warned by the pledge they make to one another in the very words of this prayer: Forgive us as we forgive (Matt 6:12), they may cleanse themselves of this kind of vice. RB80. 13.12-13

Anytime that a group is gathered together to work on a project, be part of a team or interact closely for an extended period of time, differences of opinion, misunderstandings and minor hurts are likely to spring up. Benedict seems to have understood this concept from his observations of human nature. Knowing this potential, Benedict sets forth that the Lord's Prayer should be recited at least twice daily (morning and evening). This would serve as a gentle reminder that we are to be a forgiving people if we are to work for any length of time together in peace.

The line that Benedict focuses on is: Forgive us as we forgive (Matt 6.12). This line in the prayer helps me to remember that just as I am seeking God's mercy and forgiveness; others are also seeking the same from me. It helps me to remember that I need to work on my own faults first before I even consider holding others accountable for theirs. Good as I might want to appear, I am not above reproach.

This form of reality check helps me to be more patient and understanding with others. In a sense, we are all doing the best we can given our personal situations. This reminder helps me to be at least a little less judgemental of others (at least in theory).

How am I forgiving others today?

Sr. Catherine, OSB

No comments:

Post a Comment