Search This Blog

Monday, February 7, 2011

On Laughter

The tenth step of humility is that he is not given to ready laughter, for it is written: Only a fool raises his voice in laughter (Sir 21:23). RB80.7.59

The tenth step of humility seems, at first glance, to be totally against humor and mirth of any kind. Looking at the passage from the Book of Sirach to which this passage refers there is a sense that it is the shallowness of a person who laughs at anything at all that is being addressed.

A person of wisdom and stature would be able to discern the words that are worth listening to, be able to evaluate the content of the message and even the true message that might be found below the surface of words. That person would be able to evaluate whether laughter is an appropriate response or not.

An unwise person or one who has not reached full maturity might tend to laugh out of nervousness or the discomfort of an awkward pause. The wise person is able to sit silently and wait for the time to respond lovingly.

I desire to be that wise person--the one that seems to always know how to respond in any given situation. What am I doing today to increase that ability within myself? How am I learning to make silence my friend?

Please pray for the School of Lectio training which will be held this week at our monastery. May God bless all of the participants and staff with wisdom and peace.

Sr. Catherine, OSB

1 comment:

  1. THAT'S what I want, I want to be that wise person. I want to be where that wise person is in the Spirit. I think that's what the Psalmist wanted in dwelling in dwelling in the house of God all the days of his life.

    Sam
    sam-betweenhereandthere.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete