Search This Blog

Monday, February 28, 2011

Don't Overkill

There ought to be due proportion between the seriousness of a fault and the measure of excommunication or discipline. RB80.24.1

This short verse from the Rule seems to be pretty clear: make sure that the consequence is in proportion to the action. The reasoning behind it makes sense and seems fair--big penalties should not be associated with minor infractions. Both the severity of the action and the particular situation of the person(s) involved should be considered.

This theory holds true in any kind of group whether a family, a team, a classroom or an office. I am reminded of an incident that happened at home with my siblings. My younger sister did not have a whole lot of emotional control as far as I could see. (I had somehow forgotten that I was more than 15 years older than her, so hopefully I had a little more control than she did.) One day she was upset about something and threw a hairbrush at me. She was about two at the time. I was not going to let this offense go by lightly so I flung the brush back at her. She had totally missed me but I had better aim. I hit her on the head. My mom happened to be coming into the room about the time the brush hit my sister. Needless to say, I got in trouble for not using my best judgement in responding to my sister. I had forgotten about the difference in age and strength between us.

I remember that incident when I am in a situation where I need to evaluate how to respond to an action. Do I really need to respond in like manner? Is my proposed consequence disproportionate to the original offense? How would I like others to respond to me in that situation? How forgiving would I like God to be with me?

Sr. Catherine, OSB

No comments:

Post a Comment