Search This Blog

Friday, February 25, 2011

In the Presence of God and His Angels

Let us consider, then, how we ought to behave in the presence of God and his angels, and let us stand to sing the psalms in such a way that our minds are in harmony with our voices. RB80.19.6-7

I have a very short attention span and often find my mind drifting in multiple directions if I don't consciously make myself focus and be fully present. After saying this, today's passage from the Rule is more than a little challenging for me at times.

I have been in our community around 25 years. That means that for 25 years I have been participating in our community prayers daily. I can even recite many of the psalms, practically in my sleep. That is where the challenge lies for me...It is possible for me to be physically present at our prayers, and even be mouthing the correct words and not be totally present! My mind could easily be on my last activity or my next activity if I am not watchful.

My basic underlying desire, though, invites me to be awake, alert and fully present at our times of prayer. So knowing my own tendencies, how can I ensure that I am as fully engaged as possible at all times?
  • I can arrive a few minutes early for prayers and prepare myself in stillness and silence to be fully present.
  • I can make sure that I reduce my distractions by refraining from stopping along the way to the oratory.
  • I can bring myself gently back to the present moment when I find myself daydreaming.
  • I can thank God for the grace to even have this desire for heightened awareness.

Sr. Catherine, OSB

No comments:

Post a Comment