Search This Blog

Thursday, May 5, 2011

God's Grace in Action

In just this way Paul the Apostle refused to take credit for the power of his preaching. He declared: "By God's grace I am what I am" (1 Cor 15:10). And again he said: "He who boasts should make his boast in the Lord" (2 Cor 10:17). RB80.Prologue.31-32

It is God's gracious gift of love and mercy that bring about the good and the successes of my life. Of my own efforts I am not able to accomplish anything that is directed toward the good and holy. At first glance this sounds a little harsh and somewhat self-deprecating, but it is true. It can also be a source of hope and encouragement for me in a sense.

If I am not responsible for making the "good" happen in my life, then I can focus more on just doing whatever needs to be done next. I can spend my extra energy on prayer, staying on the assigned course and being aware of God's presence in my life. It is truly through God's efforts that my successes can be recognized and I can participate in the improvement of the world.

Sr. Catherine, OSB


No comments:

Post a Comment