Search This Blog

Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Willing Obedience

Furthermore, the disciples' obedience must be given gladly, for God loves a cheerful giver (2Cor 9.7). RB80.5.16

Today's reading takes obedience a step further than yesterday. While yesterday, I was invited to obey quickly and with eagerness, today the challenge is to obey cheerfully.

While there are some who are able to at least pretend to follow instructions willingly, I am definitely a person who lets others know if I do not agree with what is being required. For me this is usually evident in my non-stop complaining or in the half-hearted attitude in which I do things I would rather not do. (And I rarely do anything half-heartedly.) It can also be apparent in more subtle ways such as by finding a dozen other little things that need to be done that take me away from the task or by quietly suggesting to others that the required task is not all that important after all--there have to be better things to be doing right now.

When I give in to my tendency to deviate from the norm I find that I am not only hurting myself by wasting lots of time feeling miserable but I am also quietly tearing down community by inviting others to participate in my misery. When I stop and realize this I can usually find my way back to the group with God's help. I do need to be aware of that tendency, though, so that I not be hurting myself and dividing community in the process.

One question that I ask myself regularly is: What am I doing today to build community?

Sr. Catherine, OSB

No comments:

Post a Comment