Search This Blog

Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Desiring Life

Is there anyone here who yearns for life and desires to see good days? (Ps. 33(34):13) If you hear this and your answer is "I do," God then directs these words to you: If you desire true and eternal life, keep your tongue free from vicious talk and your lips from all deceit; turn away from evil and do good; let peace be your quest and aim (Ps 33(34):14-15) RB80.Prologue.15-17

I love life...I love experiencing new things, adventures, challenges. I am grateful for life and the opportunities each day brings. I have been like that since I was a child so that is probably inherent in my personality.

Today, Benedict asks with the psalmist--Is there anyone here who yearns for life and desires to see good days? My initial response is to stand and state "YES!!!" as emphatically as possible. I long for a long and productive life. I desire success, happiness and all the benefits of a good life.

I need to ask myself, however, what is required in order to achieve this life. What is the magic formula that will gain the type of life in union with God that I am searching?

Benedict tells me what to do next to achieve my goal. I am to keep my tongue from vicious talk and my lips from speaking deceit; turn away from evil and do good; let peace be your quest and aim. That is definitely a formula for living a righteous life. It is by no means easy to fulfill. It can only be achieved through prayer, God's grace and effort. If I desire to have a life of integrity and peace, I need to start by cultivating that peace and compassion within my own heart first.

What am I doing today to instill that righteousness and peace within my life?

Sr. Catherine, OSB

No comments:

Post a Comment