Search This Blog

Monday, May 9, 2011

Kinds of Monks

First, there are the cenobites, that is to say, those who belong to a monastery, where they serve under a rule and an abbot. (RB80.1.2)

In listing the qualities of the types of persons found in groups, Benedict starts by addressing first those who belong to the general group and who choose to follow a common rule.

Every group has a variety of personalities involved in it:


  • there are those who do only what is required and those who check to see how much they can stretch the boundaries,

  • there are those who thrive on being part of a team and those who prefer to work alone,

  • there are some who are born to lead and others who rebel against all authority.

All of these elements are necessary for a team to function well. There has to be boundaries that are set and obeyed (not necessarily liked by all) yet enough space for diversity. I need to realize that although I might want to be the center of the group at all times, there needs to be a measure of flexibility present that allows all to use their gifts and talents and to grow. I need to ask myself regularly if I am contributing something positive to the group or detracting from it.


What am I doing to enable the groups I belong to grow today?


Sr. Catherine, OSB


No comments:

Post a Comment