Search This Blog

Thursday, February 9, 2012

Love of God Which Casts Out Fear

Chapter 7 of the Rule of Benedict finishes with the assertion that once all of the steps of humility have been reached then the person would live a life of good action out of a desire for virtue and love of God which casts out fear.

In the earlier stages on the ascent, the image is of a person who performs some right deeds not out of love for the good but out of fear of punishment and judgment by God. At this point, I might perform virtuous actions but mostly out of fear of incurring the consequence of my bad deeds (not out of virtue). After going through the 12 steps of humility and putting them into practice (somewhat), I now find that I actually look for opportunities to be virtuous, out of my awareness of God's presence and love in my life. Now I live a life of virtue for the sake of the good. My previous discipline has started to pay off.

This sounds like an ideal. Since I will never outgrow the steps of humility, how can I maintain this desire to do the good out of an awareness of God in my life?



  • Develop the habit of keeping connected to God throughout the day. Practicing the Jesus Prayer. Having short conversations with God at odd times during the day.

  • Remaining committed to daily examination of conscience (at end of day) and morning offering of day.

  • Watching my thoughts as they arise so that I can better direct my day towards God.

Sr. Catherine, OSB

No comments:

Post a Comment