Search This Blog

Monday, February 27, 2012

The Leader's Assistants

In proposing the structure (order) for the community, St. Benedict requires that those who assist the leader in administration be someone who possesses: a good reputation, a holy life, and a degree of wisdom in teaching. In other words, the person in this role needs to be an example for the rest through life and teaching. This seems like a reasonable expectation.

Having been invited to accept various roles in community over the last 26 years, however, I am constantly humbled and awed by the fact that anyone would ever consider me to possess the potential for even minimal leadership...because I am well aware that whatever example I have given to others through my life it has not always been the one I would want others to follow.

I tend to see myself much more as human than holy. I have quirks and habits that often seem more like glaring neon signs rather than small flaws or minor blemishes of character. I've spent many years asking to either be relieved of these habits or at least for the grace to be able to diminish them to a more reasonable level. I try to capitalize on the positive qualities that I find within myself.

During these days of Lent, when I try to focus more intentionally on developing a more virtuous life, I pray for the grace necessary to bring to fruition my lenten resolutions.

Sr. Catherine, OSB

No comments:

Post a Comment