Search This Blog

Monday, February 20, 2012

Lord, Have Mercy on Us

Today's selection from the Rule of St. Benedict (Chapter 17) invites us to look towards God and ask for mercy throughout the day. Chapter 17 is towards the end of Benedict's extensive section on the order of daily, community prayer. Three times during this chapter (vss 4, 5, 10), St. Benedict asks us to remember the reality and depth of God's compassion for us.

This call for God's mercy seems appropriate as we prepare for the great season of Lent. I am called throughout my day to visit those places in my life where I might not be as open to the experience of God's presence in life. There are many times (sometimes daily or hourly) when I need to have these reminders of my need for God in my daily encounters.

It is not an exaggeration to state that apart from God my accomplishments, successes or endeavors have very little value. It is only through God's grace that I am able to do and be who I am. In this awareness, I am sent out to show others that same forgiveness, love and mercy which I have so generously received from God.

Sr. Catherine, OSB

No comments:

Post a Comment