Search This Blog

Friday, February 24, 2012

Lenten Check Up

Two days into Lent and I am already looking for a way out! That can be considered a pretty sad statement on my spiritual journey or an acknowledgement that I still have plenty of areas to work on in life.

Since today is Friday it is designated as a day of silence throughout the house. That sounds like a good idea unless your ministry happens to require that you interact with our employees throughout the day. I need to remind myself that I need to leave my voice in my office--preferably at my chair. Today has been extra tricky since we have had workmen in the house, employees needing assistance, phone calls throughout the morning, and training on how to complete payroll correctly. It feels a little like trying to live two lives at once--me as a monastic and me in ministry.

Maybe I need to adjust my perspective so that I can focus on the growth rather than areas of deficiency. Given this attitude then the smile to the guest or the kind word to the co-worker can offset my sense of failure. It is the spirit of initial resolution that is of more consequence than the actual adherence to the exact letter of the resolution.

Wishing all a Lent filled with the joy and expectation of the great feast of Easter.

Sr. Catherine, OSB

1 comment:

  1. I enjoyed reading your blog Sister Catherine! Gave me something to think about...thank you:)

    ReplyDelete