Search This Blog

Friday, January 4, 2013

Dashing Temptations Against Christ

At the beginning of this new year (2013), I can say that 2012 was an amazing year for me in growth, health and blessings.  Early into 2012, I realized that although I was successful, confident and content there were definite areas that I wanted to work on during that year and some changes that I wanted to make...I just wasn't sure how this would happen or if I was willing to put forth the effort that it would take to enable these changes to take effect in my life.

I started preparing for change in February and by March was pretty convinced that I was on the right path.  The rest of the year was about transformation, work and health.  Changing some old patterns and forming new habits was just the beginning. The harder work has been the process of embracing these new ways of being and allowing them to more fully be incorporated into my daily life.  It has been great AND it has been tough at times.

In the Prologue, St. Benedict invites the disciple to root out old, unhealthy (or sinful) patterns and thoughts and to cast them against Christ.  I have found myself going back to this verse often this year as I have worked on creating this new life plan.  As old habits or familiar thought patterns have tried to creep back into my life or when I am tempted to just totally give up since things seem to hard, I remind myself to call on Jesus or quietly say a short prayer (like the Jesus Prayer).  Just the reminder that I am not alone in this process is often enough to keep me going a little while longer.

May God bring all of our good works and intentions to a beneficial completion.

Sr. Catherine, OSB

No comments:

Post a Comment