Search This Blog

Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Listening: A Total Person Experience

The opening verses to the Prologue of the Rule, invite the person to listen with the ear of the heart.  When I first heard this phrase as a junior in high school, I was intrigued by the concept of my heart having ears.  I remember trying to get a visual image of what this phrase might mean--and not being very successful.  It was however one of the things that stuck with me from my first encounter with The Rule and monasticism.

I was passing through our library recently and a book cover caught my attention.  It was a caricature of a monk whose right ear was about the size of an elephant's ear.  He looked like he would be a good rival to Dumbo.  This character had his right hand cupped around his ear to allow him to hear better.  That image stayed with me and brought me back to reflecting about this intense listening to which Benedict invites me.

This listening involves being fully engaged with God, with others, with experiences, basically with LIFE.  Everything and everybody can be a teacher and a messanger of God's grace if I am open to the gift offered.  There is a lesson to be learned everywhere if my eyes and my heart is open to the new learning. 

For me, listening with the ear of the heart means being alert and ready to follow God's call wherever that may lead.

My New Year's Resolution for 2013:  being alert to God's grace and blessings in my life no matter where they may lead.

How are you listening to God today?

Sr. Catherine, OSB

No comments:

Post a Comment