Search This Blog

Monday, January 7, 2013

Persevering Until Death

The Christian journey is meant to be one of growth, conversion, and transformation until we reach the final goal, union with God in heaven.  All three of which require focusing on the goal and perseverance for the duration (neither of which is a characteristic which comes to me naturally).

Growth, in this context, is the openness to see life from a new or different perspective.  It is considering the possibility that there may be other ways of doing things, other modes of being, other views on life.  Maybe, I really don't have all the answers, as much as I would like to believe that I do.

Conversion involves being open to change, any kind of change.  I would consider myself to be a risk taker in most areas of life.  I like the excitement of trying something new.  What I have realized recently though is that the more important or valued something is the harder it is for me to be willing to consider change in that area.  I am not one to reframe a core value lightly.

Transformation invites me to be formed anew, to become like plyable clay that can be reshaped easily yet still remain essentially clay.  Transformation can be exciting and scary at the same time.  It is exciting because there is a newness and boundless new opportunities available.  It is scary because it is venturing into the unknown--What if I don't like the new shape that I will take on?  What if it is uncomfortable or unfamiliar?

The conclusion of the Prologue of the Rule of St. Benedict invites me into a life that daily involves growth, conversion and transformation.  How willing am I to embrace these three aspects of life today?

Sr. Catherine, OSB

No comments:

Post a Comment