Search This Blog

Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Not Always Getting My Way

One of the things I came to expect growing up was to get what I wanted most of the time, if not all of the time.  I was an only child for over 10 years--10 years between my brother and me and over 15 years between my younger sister and myself.  I got used to being either the only one or so much older than the rest that I usually got my way.

Today's reading on the 2nd step of humility (RB7) invites me to consider laying down my will and desires in favor of someone else's wishes.  I have had opportunities to learn how to do this throughout my adulthood, of course...and it has been a challenge at times.  I have had to work on learning to assess the importance of some things and letting the less important issues just drop.

  1. Not getting to choose the game that my group plays on our "game night" is pretty minor.  As long as everyone is able to participate and have a good time it's okay to play one of my least favorite games once in a while.
  2. Not always being first in line at meals is pretty minor also...there is usually plenty of food for everyone to get some.
  3. I don't always have to get the final say in everything.  I do have a responsibility though to support fully whatever decision the whole group makes.  I usually have plenty of opportunities to voice my opinion on matters but once a course is taken I need to be willing to adjust to the decision of the group.
Over the years, I have learned to lay down my wishes for the good of the group.  I don't always have to get my way.  I need to remember to rely on God's will and the guidance of the Holy Spirit when I find myself wanting to demand that things be done according to my plan.

How am I growing in letting God's will rather than mine be evident in my life today?

Sr. Catherine, OSB

No comments:

Post a Comment