Search This Blog

Saturday, November 14, 2009

Caring for the Sick

We had the privilege of caring for my mother at home for five years before she died at age 92. Home health nurses took care of her during the day while my brothers and I worked at our jobs. In the evening and on weekends we were in charge. We fed her, bathed her, dressed her, did her therapy with her, and put her to bed. In the morning we did the same, then put her in her wheelchair or her lounge chair for the day. These were such enjoyable times for us. Mom had such a great sense of humor and every day she had new stories to share about her childhood, and the colorful characters she took care of in nursing homes where she worked for more than 20 years. At least 3 or 4 times each day she had us praying the Rosary with her.

Caring for the sick can teach us so much about how to live and how to die. Perhaps this is why St. Benedict says: “Care of the sick must rank above and before all else, so that they may truly be served as Christ, for he said, I was sick and you visited me, and What you did for one of these…you did for me.”

Sr. Veronica, OSB

No comments:

Post a Comment