Search This Blog

Monday, November 23, 2009

Forgiveness in Community

Few things can tear apart a family, community or team faster than resentments and unresolved hurts.

I know that when I realize that I have hurt or wronged someone for whatever reason there is an uncomfortable feeling within myself as I struggle to find a way to make things better and to start rebuilding the relationship. That is not always easy to do since it will require lots of humility on my part to admit that I was wrong. There is also the fear of what the other person's reaction might be.

If I happen to be the person who was hurt, sometimes I try to make the person feel as miserable as I felt initially. There might even be a slight feeling of power as I realize that I can choose to accept the apology or not.

In the end, however, it is living with these unacknowledged wounds that slowly eat away both at the people involved and at community in general. It is in forgiving the hurts that I can start repairing the damage done in the past.

Sr. Catherine, OSB

No comments:

Post a Comment