Search This Blog

Friday, November 20, 2009

Table Reading


Our community has the custom of reading at table during the first half of dinner every evening. When I entered community, we reserved table reading for special liturgical seasons--such as Advent and Lent. Over the years, however, we have begun incorporating a period of silence and reading with all of our weekday evening meals.

While it took a while for me to see the value of sharing the silence and the reflective reading together, I have come to appreciate that quiet time...especially when the day leading up to dinner has been hectic. The reading period sets the tone for the meal and allows me to still myself enough to fully re-integrate myself into the community. The reading itself can also often provide starting points for mealtime conversation.

Sr. Catherine, OSB

No comments:

Post a Comment