Search This Blog

Tuesday, November 3, 2009

A Wise Companion


I am reminded of the saying: "Misery loves company." when I read Chapter 27 of the Rule.


Once a person's behavior has caused separation from the community, it is very easy to either fall into deep dispair about the situation or to become even more defiant and try to find allies within the community...causing greater division. What Benedict suggests is for the superior to allow one person to encourage the wayward back into the community. Care must be taken that this is not going to be a misery party. Therefore, the companion must have an adequate amount of maturity not to become part of the problem.


This companion or senpectae is to act as a truth teller to the wayward. We all need people in our lives that care about us enough and that know us well enough to be able to challenge us into growth. I am fortunate to have many friends that have done that for me in my life. The truth tellers in our lives are our truest friends.


May I always be willing to hear and open to the truth presented to me by those wiser than me.


Sr. Catherine

No comments:

Post a Comment