Search This Blog

Sunday, November 22, 2009

Common Table

Sharing a meals together can be teaching moments for all of us. I know that when I first entered our community I had a hard time appreciating the value of dinner time conversation and having a leisurely meal as a group.

Although my family generally had at least one daily meal together I had somehow missed the finer points of conversation and eating slowly rather than inhaling my meal. Over the years I have gotten better at participating in meal conversation and pleasantries. Our community also has the tradition of an after meal blessing to signal the end of the meal--that gives us an external signal of the end of the meal and also reminds us that all that happened in the dining room was in God's presence. This is also one more way in which Benedict's connection between table and oratory is emphasized.

Sr. Catherine, OSB

No comments:

Post a Comment