Search This Blog

Saturday, June 26, 2010

Harmony of Mind and Voice

And let us stand to sing in such a way that our mind is in harmony with our voice. (Benedict's Rule: A Translation, Terrance Kardong, OSB, 19.7)



I enjoy music and I like to sing--not always on key but usually pretty loud. It is much harder for me and others around me to produce a pleasant sound when I happen to be distracted.



This distraction could be the pain in my left toe, the conversation I have running around my head in stereo, the "to do" list that I am mentally rewriting, or re-enactment of a difficult interaction earlier. Any of these could easily derail me if I am not watching--and most do on some days.



Chapter 19 of the Rule ('The Proper Manner of Singing the Psalms') invites me to leave my distractions at the door of the oratory--to be totally present to this moment of prayer. I am called to place my concerns and worries in God's hands for at least these few minutes so that I can fully participate in the task at hand. I am encouraged to bring my whole self to prayer each day so that I may truly enter into the mystery of God's life with my mind and voice in harmony.



From June 26--July 2, I will be journeying to St. John's Abbey in Collegeville, MN for their annual Monastic Institute. I will be traveling with three of our Community Members, 2 Oblates and 4 young women who are friends of our community. Please pray for us during our journey and time of study and fellowship.

No comments:

Post a Comment