Search This Blog

Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Becoming Obedient

"He became obedient even unto death."

This quote from the letter to the Phillipians speaks of Christ's death. Jesus became obedient to the Father's will even to the point to death. By extension, Benedict invites us to take on that same obedience also.

I am all for being obedient--after it's been discussed and I understand and I get to ask all my questions. But obedient to death?? No thanks. I want no part of anything that seems remotely painful--definitely not death.

What does the obedience of Jesus have to teach me today?

Jesus was obedient when he came from heaven in the form of an infant. He agreed to obey his parents even when he was wiser than they. He was always attuned to the voice of God in his life. On the night before he was put to death, when he could easily have escaped his unjust death, he followed through with the Father's plan. Because it was God's will.

How willing am I to follow God into the unknown? Into the painful or scary?

Sr. Catherine, OSB

No comments:

Post a Comment