Search This Blog

Sunday, June 27, 2010

Humility in Prayer

When we wish to propose something to powerful people, we do not presume to do so without humility and reverence. How much more should we petition the Lord God of the universe with great humility and total devotion. (Benedict's Rule: a Translation, Terrance Kardong, OSB, 20.1-2)

When talking about addressing the powerful (the rich, a ruler, a king) and prayer, Benedict considers humility and reverence/total devotion to be essential elements. I am reminded of the story from the Gospels of the publican (the righteous one) and the tax collector (the sinner).

In this pericope, the one who felt virtuous thanked God in prayer for making him so superior to others--he focused on all of the good that existed in him. The other person, meanwhile, stayed towards the back asking God's mercy on his sinful situation. The second person through his humility received what he asked. By acknowledging the need for God's grace within his life, he received that mercy he desired.

When I pray, I need to remember that I do not have an automatic ticket to heaven because I am a member of a religious community. It is the daily choices that I make--my living in the present moment and my conscious life choices that prepare me for heaven and for eternal life.

Sr. Catherine, OSB

No comments:

Post a Comment