Search This Blog

Thursday, June 3, 2010

Keep Nothing Hidden

The fifth step of humility is that a man does not conceal from his abbot any sinful thoughts entering his heart, or any wrongs committed in secret, but rather confesses them humbly. (RB80.7.44)

I often get teased that there are very few thoughts that pass through my head that are not shared with others. I just have an inordinate need to tell everyone I meet what is happening with me. (I am good about secrets that pertain to others though--so I don't share everything.) I have found that when I am free about sharing what is happening with me and feel comfortable with others knowing about it chances are I'm doing okay.

The times that I choose to be secretive about my actions are generally times for me to pay attention to because I am in danger of slipping onto the wrong path and sinning.

I figure it is those issues that I refuse to address or expose that are likely to be my downfall.

Sr. Catherine, OSB

No comments:

Post a Comment