Search This Blog

Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Perseverence

The fourth step of humility is that in this obedience under difficult, unfavorable, or even unjust conditions, his heart quietly embraces suffering and endures it without weakening or seeking escape. (RB80.7.35-36)


When I was in school, I usually ended up being one of the students the principal knew on a first name basis. It wasn't that I was a poor student or always doing the wrong thing. I would just kind of end up at the wrong place about the time the principal was coming around the corner.

One time in eighth grade I went into the girl's restroom at lunch time to wash my hands. Seemed fairly innocuous to me except that I was supposed to ask the teacher before re-entering the building at lunch--and I didn't. I figured she would not miss me. Just as I was walking out of the restroom, the principal met me at the door. Someone had reported that someone had vandalized the restroom. Since I was the only one there, the principal asked me what I had done. I was unaware of the vandalism, so I told her about washing my hands. She told me to go to the office and wait for her. I couldn't figure out how washing your hands could get me in so much trouble. When the pricipal arrived, she asked me to write an essay about what I did in the restroom. Now, I was frustrated. I wrote, "I washed my hands!" After a while, I was sent back to class. The principal called for me later that afternoon to give me another chance to confess. I told her again about washing my hands--this time in tears.

The person who had vandalized the restroom finally confessed the next day. I was happy to be proven innocent but still angry that no one believed me.

Today's reading on humility talks about being obedient even in adverse situations. In these situations, I think back to my eigth grade experience. My tendency is still to proclaim my innocence, loudly to everyone, and to point out the injustice that is happening.

While I hope to be able to bear wrongs patiently someday, I am still far from the ideal.

Sr. Catherine, OSB

No comments:

Post a Comment