Search This Blog

Monday, January 31, 2011

Submitting to Authority

The third step of humility is that a man submits to his superior in all obedience for the love of God, imitating the Lord of whom the Apostle says: He became obedient even to death (Phil 2:8) RB80.7.34

I like things MY way...I have always liked things MY way. MY way is generally best. There is a slight problem here, though. Most people I encounter feel the same about their system for doing things. So when there are so many different ways and all are the best, how to I decide what plan to follow to avoid chaos.

In the 3rd step of Humility, Benedict recommends obedience to legitimate authority for the love of God in keeping with Jesus' own obedience to the Father--an obedience that led to the Cross. That type of obedience definitely has a price...am I ready to be that obedient?

On my best days, I would like to say that I am ready to embrace another's way with only slight reservation...but that is only on my really awesome days. On most regular days, I am willing to at least consider obedience. How can I get more of those best days in my regular life?

LISTENING seems to be the key: listening to myself, to others, and to daily encounters opens me up to that obedience that I desire and of which Benedict speaks.

Sr. Catherine, OSB

No comments:

Post a Comment