Search This Blog

Friday, April 8, 2011

Distribution According to Need

The abbot, however, must always bear in mind what is said in the Acts of the Apostles: Distribution was made to each one as he had need (Acts 4:35). In this way the abbot will take into account the weaknesses of the needy, not the evil will of the envious; yet in all his judgments he must bear in mind God's retribution. RB80. 55.20-22 THINGS!!!!! I have a habit of acquiring more and more things even when I am not intending to. Sometimes it almost seems as if my possessions multiply spontaneously just by being in close proximity to one another. After a while it becomes a question of do I actually possess these things or do they possess me. It's not that I am greedy, a hoarder or never share my things; it's more like people offer me their hand me downs or show me an interesting new craft project and I slowly find myself in a sea of things again. So, how can I keep better track of this and simplify my life so that what I have readily available are the tools I truly need for my daily life?

  • Ask myself if the individual things I have are what I need or if there are others who could use some of these things better? Do I really need 3 sweaters that are not the right size anymore or can I give them to charity?

  • Are there things that I have that I might be able to share with others? If I only do 1 knitting project every two years do I really need a full set of special knitting needles and an assortment of the best yarns available--just because they were on sale?

  • What do I really need for me life to be complete? What can I do with less of?

These are just a few of the questions that I address regularly in my life as I look at my relationship with things.


Sr. Catherine, OSB


No comments:

Post a Comment