Search This Blog

Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Example and Teaching

Goodness of life and wisdom in teaching must be the criteria for choosing the one to be made abbot, even if he is the last in community rank. RB80.64.2

Goodness of life (virtue) and wisdom in teaching (example) are to be the criteria for choosing the leader.

The leader needs to be one who is familiar with the rules and guidelines and has shown understanding of them through the way life is lived. Ideally, the person in charge is someone who also is a good follower and a good team player. I need to know how to be part of the group before I can accept the responsibility of directing others. How am I living according to the prescribed guidelines of the group?

It is often said that actions speak much louder than words. Am I showing others through my own example how to live in harmony with others? Do my attitudes and actions betray some form of inner conflict with existing norms or with those in authority?

Sr. Catherine, OSB

No comments:

Post a Comment