Search This Blog

Monday, April 4, 2011

Reception of Guests

Great care and concern are to be shown in receiving poor people and pilgrims, because in them more particularly Christ is received; our very awe of the rich guarantees them special respect. RB80.53.15 The hospitality that Benedict is calling forth in community is an openning of myself, my life, my home, my comfort for the sake of the other...no matter how inconvenient or uncomfortable. He actually recommends that extra kindness and care be shown to those who are least likely to be the "desired" guest--the poor, the traveler, the elderly, the young, the sick. These guests require a little extra effort on my part because they come needier. Benedict makes reference to Matthew 25 in his instructions for the care of the guest since Christ is to be received in all who show up at our doors--no matter how hard it is to see Christ. There are some among us for whom this type of open welcome comes naturally. It is as if they were born with an innate ability to be welcoming and open to all and everyone who crosses their path. That is a true talent. My mom was like that...she was able to see beyond outward appearances and to treat everyone as a treasured friend. This skill is present even to this day in the number of people that my parents know from the neighborhood, church, and town that consider my parents among their special friends. I would like to believe that I learned that skill from my parents and am continuing to grow in that. When I am attentive to my surroundings, I am able to be open to all I meet. I find that most when I am traveling and fellow passengers strike up conversations with me along the way. I always feel richer for the experience of openning myself up to others. How can I be more open to Christ in my life today in others? Sr. Catherine, OSB

No comments:

Post a Comment