Search This Blog

Monday, April 18, 2011

Experience Counts

Therefore, apart from those mentioned above whom the abbot has for some overriding consideration promoted, or for a specific reason demoted, all the rest should keep to the order of their entry. For example, someone who came to the monastery at the second hour of the day must recognize that he is junior to someone who came at the first hour, regardless of age or distinction. RB80.63.7-8 Looking at this selection from the Rule my first reaction is to consider it somewhat picky. I mean, am I really going to be the junior of someone who happened to show up at the door just a few minutes before me??? That is something hard for me to understand at face value. I would much prefer a system where age, or likability, or personality, or something I can achieve carries power. Looking at the passage more closely, though, I realize the inherent wisdom here. It reminds me that status in community is not arbitrary. I do not get automatic status because I am the leader's buddy, or because I can buy myself into a powerful position. I can move up or down in rank only according to the virtue of my life. My living out of this life (how I live out Gospel values daily) is the only means through which I can rise or descend in status. The decision is mine. How do I choose to life my commitments today? Sr. Catherine, OSB

No comments:

Post a Comment