Search This Blog

Friday, April 1, 2011

Living Intentionally

Our monastic community is in the beginning stages of performing a self-study. It is an opportunity that we take every 6 years to look at our lives as they are lived, individually and communally, and to assess our strengths, weaknesses and areas for potential growth. Part of this process involves and extensive survey. At the end of our current survey we added a few essay questions about our life. One of the questions was Am I living my monastic life the way I intend to live it? Explain. Although I usually do not have a big problem with telling others what I think and feel, this question caused me to pause for a few minutes. I had to stop and evaluate whether I was making use of the opportunities and support offered to me in life. Am I really living life to its fullest extent for me and also for others? What are some things that need to change within me in order to maximize my life? How can I choose to be a more authentic image of God for others? Chapter 50 of the Rule today (Brothers Working At a Distance or Travelling) reminds me that there does not need to be a dichotomy in my life between who I am at home and who I am away from the group. I need to strive for that singleness of purpose that allows me to be who I am wherever I may find myself. This will be what attracts others to God and to our community. May I strive to be a more authentic image of God's love daily. Sr. Catherine, OSB

No comments:

Post a Comment