Search This Blog

Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Doing the Impossible

Trusting in God's help, he must in love obey. RB80.68.5

Okay, so I am asked to do something I consider impossible. This request is not just something outside of my comfort zone but pretty much out of the realm of possibility. What am I to do???

I, personally, have never been known to step away from a challenge--no matter what form it might take. But then, I have never really been asked to do anything that I consider impossible or unbearable, just difficult at times.

When I first entered community, I had a well rehearsed list of things that I would never plan on doing...so don't even ask. This list included everything from never driving on less than ideal roads, to not ever choosing to eat unfamiliar foods, to not wanting to spend hours attached to an office. Needless to say, I have tried doing most of these things at one time or another. The secret was to be open enough to trust that those in leadership might possibly have a fuller vision of the truth than I might have at the time.

In chapter 68, Benedict encourages the person to accept "impossible" tasks quietly and at least try to do what was being asked. There is an opportunity to plead a case to be relieved of the burden but only after an honest attempt has been made to fulfil the request. If even after this the request still stands, the person is to accept the assignment quietly and rely on God's grace.

What I have found for myself is that when I am willing to suspend my own will even for a little while and try a new task...the impossible may actually turn out to be possible and I might even discover that I have new talents.

Sr. Catherine, OSB

No comments:

Post a Comment