Search This Blog

Monday, May 31, 2010

My Will vs God's Will

The second step of humility is that a man loves not his own will nor takes pleasure in the satisfaction of his desires; rather he shall imitate by his actions that saying of the Lord: I have come not to do my own will, but the will of him who sent me (John 6:38). Similarly we read, "Consent merits punishment; constraint wins a crown." (RB80.7.31-33)

Tenacity, determination, single-mindedness, driven, willful--these are just a few of the terms that can be used as synonyms for STUBBORNNESS. Stubborn is a word that has been used to describe me probably since infancy. I have always known what I wanted things, how I wanted them to be and when I wanted them. When I have my mind and my heart set on a goal or a prize, everyone better stand back because I am determined.

Now how does this will of mine relate to God's will in my life? There are times when my idea of how things should play out and God's will are at odds. What do I do then?

I have slowly learned (and am still learning on a daily basis) to listen for God's voice in my desires. Rather than rush ahead as soon as I think of something, I try to take it to prayer at least a few times before I act on things. This practice allows me to listen to God's will and see where that is leading in relation to my original plan. I do not have it down to a science yet and may not for a long time but there is progress. I also try running my plans by some trusted friends who can often help me see God's plan when I can't.

Sr. Catherine, OSB

No comments:

Post a Comment