Search This Blog

Thursday, August 25, 2011

The Enclosure of the Monastery

Today's reading from the Rule of Benedict (RB 67) addresses the separation between the monastery/monastic community and the rest of the world. The concept of fuga mundi or flight from the world seems to be connected with this idea of breaking from society, culture and the world beyond the gates of the enclosure.

While this is still true in some cases, our world does put us in contact with many of the issues concerning our lives today. Through the increase of technology and access to various forms of media, we have the world coming into our offices, living rooms and homes daily. This access is good since it does make us more aware of what is happening around us. It allows us to be able to pray for those who suffer, accompany those who grieve, take a stand against injustice and oppression.

It can also be a challenge to remain faithful to our monastic commitments. This new access to the world invites me to allow myself to find my strength within the tradition in which I have been formed. It encourages me to look within myself and the community to find my response to the world--a faithfilled, prayerful response. I wish I could say that I do this perfectly everyday...that would be a nice goal for which to strive. I can say that on my good days I can see myself growing in compassion and wisdom (even though sometimes it's only in baby steps).

I am fortunate to live with a group of faithful women who have shown me through their example that living this life can make an impact in society, culture and the world as well as within me personally. I pray to daily grow in my commitment to this way of life.

Sr. Catherine, OSB

No comments:

Post a Comment