Search This Blog

Friday, August 26, 2011

Trusting in God's Help

Trusting in God's help, he must in love obey. RB80.68.5

There are times in life when the tasks before me seem to take on a life and power of their own. They can seem to be insurmountable and beyond my abilities to accomplish. At times like this, my natural tendency is to become paralized by focusing on the immensity of the challenge rather than using the skills I have to break the "mountain" down into easily mastered pieces. This tendency to over-focus on my perceived deficit rather than my strengths and resiliency is pretty counter-productive because in the end I am usually fearful, confused and frustrated as well as overwhelmed.

This scenario can be turned around will a little bit of creativity and a realistic assessment of the actual issues involved. Benedict knew that there would be times when this could happen in his community, so he included Chapter 68 in the Rule which addresses the performance of what seem to be impossible tasks. In 5 short verses, Benedict acknowledges that a person might be asked to perform a challenging task (one that might seem burdensome and even impossible). He sets up a simple process for addressing the issue. First, the person is to humbly accept the task and try to fulfill the demand. If this proves to be too difficult, then the person may ask to speak to the leader and patiently explain what the obstacles being faced are. If even then the request remains, the person is to accept the challenge as being for the best and trust in God's grace to provide the strength and skills necessary.

When faced with a daunting task (or one that seems so to me), I need to remember to refocus, think and trust in God, in the wisdom of the superior and in the support of the community.


  • I need to refocus because obsessing over my frailty and sense of lack will only paralize me further. I need to take a breath and calmly look at the individual steps in a new and creative way. Once I can break the job done into multiple small steps than I can see my progress and also make the job for manageable. I don't need to climb the whole mountain in one leap--I can take it on step at a time. It also keeps me moving forward and out of paralysis.

  • Thinking puts me in control of the situation rather than holding me hostage to my fears. By assessing the task and getting a new perspective on it, I can chart the course that the project can take and even surprise myself with my own abilities.

  • Trusting in God, in the wisdom of leadership, and in the support of the community is important for me to remember because it is only through the grace of God and the love and support of others that I can do anything. Although I would like to believe that I am in control and self-sufficient, I need to remember that it is God alone who can provide what I lack within myself if I ask. Also I need to acknowledge that I do not possess full wisdom and others might see a latent talent within me that I cannot see yet. In trusting, even when asked to do what seems daunting, I have often surprised myself in my own strength and ability. I have been able to do many things that I never would have imagined.

May I always remember to trust in God's mercy when faced with overwhelming challenges.


Sr. Catherine, OSB








No comments:

Post a Comment