Search This Blog

Friday, August 12, 2011

Promising Stability, Fidelity to Monastic Life, and Obedience

When he is to be received, he comes before the whole community in the oratory and promises stability, fidelity to monastic life and obedience. RB80.58.17

In this chapter that addresses the reception of new members into the group, Benedict spells out for us the substance of this new way of life. The novice stands in the oratory (in a sense the place designated as the true heart of the monastery) before the entire group and publicly accepts stability, fidelity to this new way, and obedience.

Stability is the ability to remain focused to my initial intention. It is the ability to maintain at least a faint memory of the youthful fervor that inspired me to join in the first place. I need to remind myself of those first stirrings of God within my heart especially when the dailiness of life can threaten to undermine my resolve to be the best I can be.

Fidelity to monastic life calls me daily to reaffirm commitment to personal growth and to holiness of life. I need reminders at times of my progress (I am not the same person who undert00k this endeavor 20+ years ago) and to be willing to learn from mistakes and move forward even when life gets a little tough. I also need to ask for the humility necessary for those times when I need to rely on the community to help me through my days. A good sense of humor comes in handy on those days.

Obedience calls me to be a "listener." I need to be able to listen to God, others, myself, and daily experiences. These are all ways through which I can learn how to live a better and more sane life.

Although the promises that we take in community are specific to monasticism, the life lessons and values which are implicit within these are valuable for all who desire growth and peace within their lives.

Sr. Catherine, OSB

No comments:

Post a Comment